To avoid and mitigate the adverse impacts on the environment and enhance the positive social effects the project provides for the following actions:
- construction of the sound barriers (with a height of 6 m within city boundaries, 4m at exits and in rural areas, 3 m in the places of crossings for large fauna) – with total length over 20 km;
- construction of local water treatment plants;
- construction of hydro-botanic water settling areas;
- arrangement of two points for receiving and storage of snow and ice masses;
- application of environmentally acceptable reagents during highway operation in winter;
- installation of automatic air monitoring stations;
- arrangement of chain link fence along the border of the right-of-way of the highway throughout its length for prevention of the unauthorised accesses of people and animals;
- liquidation of the unauthorized landfills;
- carrying out of the archaeological surveys;
- reduction of the width of the cross profile of the highway what will allow reducing the area occupied by the highway by 12 ha, what, respectively, allow reducing deforestation;
special actions on protection of the fishery conservation sources:
- bridges over water obstacles are designed with preservation of natural river channel
- works near water will be performed under cover of sheet-pile walls
-all surface runoffs from the highway will be collected and treated before discharge in the river basin areas.
The Environmental and Social Action Plan had additionally been developed which includes the systematic actions as well as particular actions aimed at avoidance / mitigation of the adverse impacts and enhancement of the positive impacts of the project, inter alia:
1. Within Khimki district:
a. the design solutions concerning location of the infrastructure facilities, in particular. for reduction of the adverse impact on Mesotrophic swamp, had been revised, where possible;
b. water disposal system had been revised, inter alia a possibility of snowmelt and storm water runoff into Mesotrophic swamp basin was eliminated;
c. In addition to the adopted decisions on compensation of reduction of the areas of forest park zones (inclusion of the forest land plots of the respective areas located in Dmitrovskoe forestry station into the forest park zone of Moscow Oblast) it is planned to perform planting of environmentally equal forestry crops on the lands of the forest fund not covered by the forest within the borders or directly in the area of Khimki forest;
d. the number of pedestrian crossings was increased;
e. at the request of Administration of Moscow Oblast “Urban District Khimki” the passage throughout the bridge over Moscow Channel will be arranged.
2. Preservation of wildlife outside of Khimki forest:
a. shift of highway axle (within the land allocation) for elimination of the impact on the valuable habitat – upland swamp;
b. construction of crossings for large fauna;
c. carrying out of protective and sheltered forest planting in the wastelands near the villages of Ovsyannikovo and Maidarovo, totally on the area of around 6 ha, reclamation of the top soil with arrangement of the green swards along the highway on the area over 90 ha.
3. Water discharge:
a. Ensuring application of the best technical means and technologies of treatment and discharge of storm waters, guaranteeing observation of fishery maximum permissible concentrations in water diverted in Klyazma and Moscow Channel, and sanitary maximum permissible concentrations in water diverted on the relief;
b. Ensuring laying of pipes D=1,5m under the road bed for surface water runoff on all sections of the highway where there are water-collecting declines, runoff troughs and etc. Apart from the main function of water discharge the pipes will serve as amphibian migration paths.
4. The compensation measures for enhancement of the protection statuses for Khimki forest, Oak Grove, Mesotrophic swamp, Reserve “Upper Klyazma”, and Ant Reserve are envisaged.